Wicked Cupcakes

I made these for teacher appreciation week, our theme was Wicked. Such a fun theme that I HAD to come up with a cute treat for make for the teachers and staff. I also did some red and purple flowers, but I forgot to photograph those.
The recipe for the cupcake is:
1 box devils food
3 eggs
1/2 C sour cream
1 c water
1/2 C butter
1/2 C chocolate chips
(if I knew I could resist Nutella I would have filled them with a Nutella creme filling.. but I that stuff is my kryptonite and I can't resist)

The icing I used was so fluffy and easy to work with:

 1 Cup Crisco Shortenin
1  Cup butter, softened at room temp
6-8 cups Confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract (if you don't want it to taste do 2 tsp vanilla)
6 oz heavy whipping cream


Cream shortening and butter  until fluffy. Add confectioner's sugar  2 cups at a time and continue creaming until well blended.

 Add salt, vanilla, and whipping cream blend on low speed until moistened. Add additional whipping cream and or sugar if necessary (up to 2 ounces). Beat at high speed until frosting is fluffy. (May take 5 or so minutes. Then add bright green food coloring.

Here is the Wicked Cupcake Wrapper pdf printable. It looks weird when I uploaded it, please write a comment if it prints weird and I will try to figure it out.
 http://www.scribd.com/doc/93261681/Wicked-Cupcake-Wrapper


The hat is made of Wilsons fondant with black food coloring. (Hobby Lobby has a great food coloring for a great price). I used an extra large french tip.
Here is a great site for decorating tips:
http://decoratethis.blogspot.com/2011/03/cupcake-decorating-tutorial.html


The secretary was out of control with her amazing door decor and the hallways. I know this is generally a food blog, but I just have to share some of the decor as well. It was amazing. I did two of the doors; they came out OK, but not as well as I had envisioned. But I think are good for idea building, and now I know better for next time.. and I will remember that it takes WAY longer than 30 mins to hang everything ON the doors. I was naive and thought that would be the easy part.. WRONG!


Comments