A weight watchers recipe that actually taste good enough to eat on non-weight watching days;) but here are the stats just in case you were wondering. (of course I don't use fat free cheese.. NASTY.. and I use real sour cream and olives to top it.)
POINTS Value: 6
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cooking Time: 60 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
1 2/3 oz Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce Mix, or equivalent product (use a 1.62 oz package)
6 oz canned tomato paste 8 cup(s) water, divided 2 tbsp canola oil
1 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
1/2 cup(s) green pepper(s), chopped 1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1 1/2 cup(s) uncooked yellow cornmeal 1 spray(s) cooking spray
15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
15 oz canned yellow corn, drained and rinsed
2 cup(s) cooked chicken breast, skinless, diced
1 1/2 cup(s) Kraft Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese, or other brand
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare enchilada sauce according to package directions using tomato paste and 3 cups of water. (You will end up with 3 cups of sauce total.)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring until translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove 1 cup of onion mixture and place in a large mixing bowl; set aside. Stir 3 cups of water into remaining onion mixture and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, add cornmeal to remaining 2 cups of water in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Gradually add cornmeal mixture to boiling water-onion mixture. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cornmeal is thickened, about 4 to 6 minutes.
- Coat a 9 X 13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray. Spread cornmeal mixture evenly over bottom of dish.
- Spoon beans, corn and chicken into reserved onion mixture; combine thoroughly.
- Spread half of enchilada sauce over cornmeal layer. Top with all of bean mixture and then remaining enchilada sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 45 minutes. Slice into 8 pieces and serve. (Note: This recipe is a bit saucy. For a firmer consistency, reduce the amount of enchilada sauce by 1/2 to 1/3.)