Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup
- 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (I added 1/2 c. sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- * I added left over cake and diced it and put it in the spaces between the bread.
- Praline Topping, recipe follows
- Maple syrup
- Butter rum sauce, recipe follows
Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Keep foil on and Bake 30 min. Remove and top with PRALINE TOPPING then put back in oven, no foil, for 10 minutes. serve with Maple Syrup and BUTTER RUM SAUCE (moms)
- (1/2 stick) 1/4 c. butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well.
Saute in pan on Med Hi heat until boiling. Remove and poor over french toast casserole. I poor it over 10 min before it's done baking.
I adjusted the topping recipe because is was way to buttery.
Moms Butter Rum Sauce:
1 1/2 c. butter
2 tsp. Rum extract mixed with 1/3c water (or 1/3 c. Rum if you have it)
3 c confectionery sugar
1 egg yolk
Melt butter in heavy sauce pan over LOW heat. Stir in rum, slowly. Add confections sugar and whisk till smooth.
Stir in Yolk and cook 5 minutes. Serve warm Over french toast casserole, bread pudding and lots of other desserts.