Apple Pie 

Butter Flaky Pie Crust
(I use this for all of my pies, I didn’t like pie crust until I tasted this one)
1 1/4 C all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, chilled and diced

1/4 C ice water

This is from my friend Angela.. best apple pie ever!



4 cups of sliced apples (peeled)  I usually do more like 5 cups because of the apple shrinkage. 
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBSP flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Mix these all together and place in pie crust. I buy deep dish crusts.
the top crust is:
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cut butter
I have made this crust when it's crumbly, and when it's doughy, it works either way.  Just crumble or spread across the top of the apples.  It won't cover them perfectly, but the apples shrink and the dough "melts" and spreads.  Besides, think about it, can you really go wrong with 1/2 a cup of sugar and 1/2 a cup of butter?
Bake at 350 for 90 minutes.
The original recipe calls for it go into a brown paper bag, but I believe it's just fine without, just definitely put a cookie sheet on the bottom rack so you don't have a mess or smell burning apple goo for an hour.

Comments